Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The joys of unemployment

So, I never thought that I would be so happy to be unemployed. It was such a major relief to have my last day, to have my Saturday to relax and my Friday to hang out without the thought of going to work the next day, to have the chance to travel with Jon on his business trips (we're in Nashville now) and mostly just no stress. I don't really get it because my job was not supposed to be stressful but it caused me so much tension and unhappiness. It has been awesome having a fabulous husband who supports me no matter what and really just wants me to be happy. Well, good job baby...I'm much happier! My advice to everyone out there: You only live once, you spend more time at your job per day than with those you love and if your job starts affecting your mentality, spirit, and happiness....it's NOT worth it! I know that it's hard to give up the income (believe me, this is my biggest struggle) but everyone deserves happiness.

Now, on to the stress that's still in my life...the plan was to go to school. Everything looked great and if you know me well you know that I completely over thought, sketched out and analyzed every possibility with school....or so I thought. Well, the kink in the road is here....I never thought that the classes I would need to take could be full and unavailable. Ugh...I really do not want to be in school for the next four years but really want the end result that school will bring! The actual program is 16 months, not bad right? Well, I've got some prerequisites that I still need to take to be able to start the nursing program. That's the tricky part. They build off of each other, are only offered certain semesters, only offered at certain times (and labs at another), and are unavailable for this semester. I mean, it's just a mess because it's all such a gamble anyways. I could start taking pre-reqs, apply, not get in, be in school for much longer than anticipated, hate it once I get started. There are so many factors working together that it makes me very nervous. Maybe I should just start looking for a job that I will love. One that helps others, one that will make me feel good about myself, one that won't require working weekends and one that has advancement opportunities. That would be great. Nursing is that, but just seems so far away all of a sudden.

Picture: I'm on a business trip with Jon in Tennessee this week. First stop, Nashville. This is our awesome view from our downtown hotel (within walking distance to Broadway too)

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, why don't you just get deeper into your photography. Weddings would be out since you want to have weekends free, but there is portraits .......children and adults and a lot of photographers do just those and make a good living. It might take a little while to get established.....you can always take a part time job until you get on your feet. You are very talented and it would be a shame if you gave it up. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)
    Steffi

    ReplyDelete