Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bane of my existence

OMG! I never thought I would be over painting because I really do think it's therapeutic and offers instant gratification. However, I HATE PAINT. Well really, I hate primer.  Many of you are aware of the room-size mural that we acquired with our house.  I have let it be for the 7 months we've been in our house because quite frankly it was a great conversation piece and we didn't feel the need to change it until we had a reason (aka...preggo).  But, when we got my grandfather's bedroom set and had to shift furniture around we actually ended up putting a bed in the future nursery so I figured there was no reason to continue delaying the inevitable of painting over it.

Side note:  It's kind of a sad story.  The previous owner passed away at a much too early age leaving his 8 year old son behind.  Well, this room was hand painted by the boy's aunt for their "first born" and actually signed that way in a discreet corner (as I just found out).  The uncle who was responsible for getting the house ready to put on the market did many things including painting throughout but couldn't bring himself to paint over the mural (or maybe he just knew it'd be a pain in the a**!)

So, back to the story...it's a royal pain in the A!  Not only is it painted on all 4 walls but they used dark colors like navy blue and red, along with glossy paint for the sea creatures, sponge paint AND they painted the ceiling (not to mention the switch plates-but those are easy to replace).  Well, it's definitely been a multiple day project.  I primed the walls one day, let it dry and yesterday I continued to prime with my second gallon of Kilz and put the first coat on the ceiling.  I have definitely had my fair share of splatters in my eyes along with a blister on my right hand and an intense upper body workout with this one.  I'm hoping to share "after" pictures soon but I've included a before for you.  I think since I've had to put so much effort into this project we're just going to go ahead and paint it a color too since primer doesn't look as pretty as I thought it would for the time being and I think I need the satisfaction of a pretty color, not an uneven primer white.

What do you think?  Light green?  Yellow?  Keep in mind that we didn't really want to paint because this will be the first room transformed into a nursery and we kind of assumed we would just paint it a pink or blue when the time came.  But, I need color gratification.  I'm leaning towards a pretty, light green.

(P.S. I corrected my spelling in the title...bain or bane...a French bath or life ruiner?)

No comments:

Post a Comment