Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Changing gears

Okay, so based off the few reactions I've gotten from my last blog I'm pretty sure I need to lighten the mood. I definitely don't want to seem focused on sad topics and heart breaking thoughts. So, change of subject (and mood)..... I've been obsessed with this new blog that my dear friend Casey told me all about during our Saturday morning chat over coffee....on the phone. As she was telling me all about it she outlined a few things: 1. that she thought of me at one point while reading it and thought that I would love it, 2. how I would fall in love with them as a couple and family and how adorable they were and 3. how I would end up wasting a lot of time reading it. Well, she is definitely right about ALL of the above. They are adorable, it's totally my thing and I have already wasted too much time trying to catch up on this totally adorable family and their crazy DIY projects! The blog is called Young House Love and basically they are big do-it-yourself gurus. They have completed remodeled and decorated one house and are now tackling another. They have an adorably bald-headed one year old little girl and are great writers. It's quite entertaining to read. Oh, and they do this for a living! Sign me up for that deal!

Well, anyways...it got me to thinking about the DIY decorating projects I have done around our house over the past few months of new home ownership. I haven't really gone All Out on anything but I have managed to throw together a few decorative items using things we had around the house paired with some things from the craft store. I painted a picture, did a flower arrangement, refinished a window and put some sponges in a glass, ha. Really, here's the breakdown: The painting required a couple tubes of paint and a lightweight canvas, the flowers are silk flowers that I put in a vase with those beads. You know, the ones that start out tiny and grow when you add water? The window bought from the flea market for about $10 and then sanded it and refinished it. The canister I was previously using for coffee but decided it would look prettier as a decorative piece in the bathroom filled with various sponges. Not anything fancy but, it got me thinking about how I want to be craftier(word?) and more creative. I want to do more myself and use my creativity. But, no matter how creative I think I am, I'm really just an amateur and copy-cat. I'm definitely no Martha Stewart or "Young House Love"

2 comments:

  1. I meant to tell you I love this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. my baby brother wants to get hitched. Like immediately. Not "bun in the oven" immediately, but almost. I may need another coffee/phone chat soon. So I don't kill him or his cute little fragile girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete