Friday, May 6, 2011

Shades of Blue

Who would've thought that one could be so confused by a color choice? Well, actually...I have a ways of over analyzing and thinking way too much about the simplest things in life....especially when money and effort are involved. Well, Jon's been traveling for business and we've been living with the plague of a white room since December so I figured I'd occupy my time and fix the situation. We have looked at paint swatches and talked about colors and coordinating bedding before (yes, I'm sure he hates his life sometimes) but never made a decision. But, Wednesday was "go time"! We pretty much had decided on a shade of blue or green and I made the executive decision on blue since we already have touches of green throughout the majority of common areas in out house. Now, here's the really tough choice: which shade of blue? I looked at pictures online to get some inspiration and boy did that just confuse things more...I have attached all my inspiration below for your viewing pleasure.









But, I finally decided I liked a slate blue, slightly grey but not any bit green, not baby boy blue, a medium shade, not too dark, but once again, not baby boy blue...so, off I went to pick up the supplies. Luckily my brother is a manager at a local hardware store and ultimately made the decision on simply....."slate blue". So, I got home, prepared the room and went to town *insert cheesy line:painted the room blue*, ha, get it? Well, I think I like it....I would've liked it a little lighter and a little more grey, but overall...I think it turned out nice! I added some touches of sage as an accent color with the lampshade and pillow and added some curtains to soften it up and voile! A totally new look for under $100!! We now have a slate blue room and it no longer feels like the "white room" or the room with the "hospital bed" or the "extra" room. It looks like there's a purpose to it and it's actually a good first glance while walking down the hallway to the rest of the rooms now. Eventually we'll get a big kid bed, new artwork (probably) and fluffy white bedding...I'm slightly obsessed, but until then I'm no longer embarrassed by this room! Hooray! I'll post a before and after once I stage the "reveal" for Jon.

No comments:

Post a Comment