Monday, July 11, 2011

Nostalgia and memories



If you are friends with me on Facebook I recently posted something about my mom cleaning out my room at home. It was long overdue but I can see why it wasn't an easy job. Not only was it difficult because there were loads of just random things, but they were all sentimental items too. I guess that's not the easiest job for mom (or me either, really). I had gotten rid of a few things throughout the years like old love letters and teddy bears from middle school boyfriends along with JTT posters, beads from Spring Break in Panama City Beach and the 'everyone in the 90.s had one' lava lamp. But, also throughout the years I brought more things in to the room. I added old curtains from my college apartment, sofa slipcovers, t-shirts that didn't fit anymore among anything else that I couldn't bring myself to get rid of at the time. Well, I guess I was just buying time until mom finally decided to get rid of it. I managed to squeeze in about 5 years after college graduation to hoard things at home (yes...I just did the math, 5 years...crazy). But, last week included D-Day. My mom went through a lot of things herself but I ended up with a little more to sort through. I had a box of childhood school projects and craft projects, my hanging bundle of pointe shoe carcasses, random things like Mickey ears from my senior trip to Disney World, my cowboy hat from a High school band trip to San Antonio and a few other things. Jon and I had fun going through all my old school projects. It provided some great insight to my little kid brain. A true gem that I found in the bunch was my middle school diary. HA! That was a great read (for me and especially Jon). I referred to my friend kissing her boyfriend as gross and said that they were "frenching". Hah, yuck! I guess some things don't change...maybe I was a germiphob long before now. But, it was very entertaining. But, as fun as it was going back through things....I do NOT want to store a box of randomness in my basement. I know we "have the space" but if you don't know this about me already, I'm waayy OCD and even if it's tucked into a corner in the basement storage room it will drive me crazy. So, I went through it all and most everything was either tossed in the trash or sent to Goodwill. I did hold on to 3 sentimental pair of pointe shoes. My first pair, my ruby red Dorothy slippers and my Odette, Swan Lake performance pair (probably my most intense dance year). Other than that, all my little memories are on their way to the DeKalb county landfill. Sorta sad, but...they are memories, right? Not things you keep sitting in a box just for the heck of it..right? Say yes, I hope I don't regret this down the road but, just in case...I at least took some pictures of the pile of pointe shoes and kept the t-shirts to get mom to make a blanket out of someday. But, as Casey says, I'll be the one in the nursing home talking about the good ole days of when I could dance in pointe shoes and when I was a size 6 but thought I was fat. But, I'm sure there will be plenty of memories to come and this isn't the first time I'll be faced with my OCD, minimalist-ish brain versus keeping things that tug at the heartstrings. But, here's to hoping there are no regrets about tossing those things out and also, here's to hoping our storage closet doesn't become filled with every future child's school projects, vacation bible school crafts and ballet slippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment