Thursday, May 27, 2010

"Sure you can do it by yourself, it'll only take 15 minutes"

So, I've been antsy and anxious about the lack of privacy in our living room lately. I think it all came to head the last time Jon went out of town. Since we moved in we've just had sheers over the main picture window in the living room. I mean, it's been this way since December but one day I just decided that it was time. It was getting to me thinking about the idea of 'they can see you but you can't see them.' Creepy, I know! Especially when you're home alone, sitting on the couch with your wimpy pups, watching TV (which 'they' could be watching too), playing on the computer and it just hits you! Scary!! And unnerving! So, I really wanted blinds but just knew that the blinds to cover this window were going to be expensive and why would we want to pour money into someone else's house? Well, last week I took a trip to Lowe's and sure enough, they said it would need to have custom blinds. Custom= expensive. However, being me and the type of person that doesn't like the word no and especially when it's something that is on the very forefront of my mind, I was going to make it happen! I went back and measured again and this time in three sections. The middle window and two smaller side windows. Surely it'll be under $100, right? Well, it was! $3.00 for the small, simple, basic vinyl side window blinds and $29.00 for the big window! Definitely worth it! So, I came home with blinds....this is just where the story starts...

Who knew that blinds could be part of the "trials and tribulations" of marriage? It started out as such an exciting thing (I know...blinds, exciting, I'm old) and turned into a nightmare! The lady at Lowe's said "sure you can do it yourself, it'll only take 15 minutes." Well, sure if you are mounting the blinds to drywall or own a drill! Needless to say, Jon HAD to get involved, we both got frustrated and ended the night with a middle blind barely hanging (due to my misjudgement of bracket placement) and uncovered side windows. The next day we picked up where we left off with a little trip to Wal-Mart for a high powered screwdriver and VOILE!, done in 15 minutes! Now, if only we could learn to laugh about these things during the catastophe, and not just afterwards, installing blinds and other "home duties" would be much easier.

I think I'm on a hunt for inexpensive, pretty curtains. Or, what's your opinion? The window is very nice and has character. It's a nice, paned, triple picture window with thick molding from the 1950's. Does it need curtains? Drapes would add some color I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh....can we wait until I'm done with my exams?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm...we already have a curtain rod silly. It would require no work. Just a switch of fabric. So dramatic...

    ReplyDelete